Wednesday, October 14, 2009

09011240

All my bags are packed
I'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door

This is the opening to a song I thought I knew. I was way wrong. The first time I heard this song was on a TV show before I remember caring about songs. The first time I cared about the song was on Armageddon. The last version of the song I heard was last night by Frank Sinatra. This lead to a Wikipedia search which brought about a mystery of results. You know when you think you have the answer (Sinatra had to be the first right) and then you discover something too surprising to believe. It turns out John Denver wrote the song and it was recorded first by the Chad Mitchell Trio. It is most famously sung by Peter, Paul and Mary, John Denver, Frank Sinatra, and Chantal Kreviazuk in that order. I will never listen to Leaving on a Jet Plane in the same light again.

BTW: It turns out cake mix is more versatile than I thought.

No comments: