Thursday, February 11, 2010

21100210

I have been in a discussion with Tyson lately about whether or not debeaking hurts chicks. I heard that it does not hurt the birds and it actually helps them to be less aggressive. Tyson shrugged off this explanation and was certain it caused great pain to the chicken. I did not disagree, but I did want some proof for one of the positions. I am glad to say that I have some closure on this issue. It turns out that it does hurt the chicken and the reason is not even good. Chicken that lay eggs are packed into cages with several other chicken and that is why they are aggressive. In fact some alternatives to the debeaking are giving the chicken more room or feeding them some grubs. These seem like solutions that make thee treatment of chicken more humane. The video below shows the debeaking process and I encourage you to check it out and see if cutting off nerves like that would hurt you.

No comments: